27A

Miracles Happen by Mary Kay Ash was a pretty inspirational book that really dove into not just the business but the life of Ash. Something that really surprised me was the flurry of obstacles that Ash had to overcome, from the health of her father to the various difficulties that came along with trying to be a business woman during the 60s and 70s. The things that I least admired was jsut how one dimensional a lot of the advice given by Ash was. She was definitely wise and I learnt a lot from her counsel but a lot of assumptions came along with the guidance she provides in the book; This is probably just a result of the time during which she was writing it. Ash encountered plenty of adversity and failure, and she dealt with it by making sure she made her faith and her family priorities.

Mary Kay Ash was extremely emotionally intelligent and I think that that greatly contributed to the success of her business and the relationships that got her there.

I feel like I had a pretty good understanding of what she discussed in this book, however something that initially confused me was her idea that applause did a lot more to build morale than gifting, however I was thinking of the idea in too literal a sense. Her point was that the recognition of ones accomplishments will build character much more than any prize could, however, these can be used in tandem.

Comments

  1. Greetings! I found your post very interesting because my mother sold Mary kay most of her life and I never knew much of the founder. Her story must have been very difficult because of the times she lived in and the obstacles that form in front of a woman at that time. She was excellent at inspiring people to move forward and continuing to sell products!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Oluwaseyi, great job with your post. I can tell you have thoroughly read the book, which sounds very interesting and worth reading. I have to say I sort of agree with Ash’s philosophy of recognizing accomplishments instead of awarding them. Sure, physical prizes can also be motivating, but for a lot of people getting recognition means more. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts